Makeup Mondays: Milani Amore Mattallics Lip Creme

2:08 PM Kyle Difiori 0 Comments

It is truly the age of liquid lipstick! Matte is in, and a liquid formula is the way to go for a super long-lasting matte finish. But a slightly more recent trend is the metallic matte lip - a foiled, shiny look to make a statement while still outlasting your typical gloss or lipstick bullet. And the metallic liquid lipstick has become so popular that you can now get them in the drugstore! So, today, I'll be reviewing one of those options from Milani!


Milani Amore Mattallics Lip Creme


$8.99 at Milani Cosmetics

Just a disclaimer before we get too far into the review: while I was tracking down the site to link to, I noticed that Milani has changed the packaging on these lip cremes. The colors and the color names seem to be the same, but the new packaging is more square as opposed to my cylindrical bottle. I do not know if the the formula has been changed along with the packaging, so until I get my hands on a new one to make an update, let's assume I'm strictly discussing the old version.


PROS

1. Finish There's nothing more frustrating than picking up a product that claims to have a certain effect or finish and finding out it absolutely doesn't. Thankfully, these Milani lip cremes live up to their "metallic" promise. Even after the color dries down on the lips, you're still left with a reflective sheen. Not glossy or glittery - definitely metallic.

2. Payoff Now I've only tried the shade 04 Cinematic Kiss (pictured above), but the color is pigmented enough that I didn't notice any streakiness, and it only required one layer of color. Which is especially good for liquid lipsticks since they don't always do as well when you have to apply multiple layers.

3. Feel The best part about this lip creme, in my opinion, is the way it feels on the lips after it's been applied and been given time to dry down. A truly matte finish will feel dry once it's set, but there's a big difference between "dry" and "drying." The Milani Mattallics dry down into a comfortable finish that was easy to wear and didn't leave me desperate to run chapstick or a gloss back over it.


CONS

1. Smell Dear god, this lip creme smells terrible. It's pretty obvious that Milani was aiming for a buttercream type scent like you get with the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks. They did not achieve that. What you get instead is a saccharin, medicinal scent that lingers until the lip color dries completely down. What I noticed is that the smell dissipated faster on my first application but lingered a horribly long time when I reapplied later int he day. I ended up taking it off rather than waiting for the smell to die down.

2. Wear Honestly, I was pretty surprised by how bad the wear time on this lip color was. I applied it at about 11:30am on Saturday and proceeded to do nothing for the next few hours. As in, I laid in bed and watched YouTube videos until about 1:15pm when I realized I should go get lunch. I didn't eat anything before then and the only thing I had to drink was the occasional sip of LaCroix through a straw. So when I got in the car and checked my lipstick, I was pretty upset to find that the inner rim of my lips had rubbed off as much as it had. I wouldn't be surprised to see that from any liquid lip after a full day of wear or a big meal, but not after 2 hours of inactivity.


THE VERDICT

Unfortunately, these are a pretty hard pass for me. Even though there were a lot of things I really liked about the Milani Mattallics, and you can't beat a price point under $10, the smell was just too overpowering, and the wear of the color wasn't good enough to override having to wait that out. If you're on a budget and really gunning for a metallic finish that's comfortable to wear, you could definitely give these a shot. But if you're like me and not huge on the metallics anyway? Save the $10 and try something else.

0 comments: